Monday, March 5, 2012

Typhoid Mary has invaded our house!

I have been meaning to blog about Christmas for the last two months.  Since our Christmas was rather uneventful this year (unless you count a car accident on the way home from visiting Santa Claus and 75% of our family being sick), I keep putting it off.  Instead, why don't I regale you with the happenings of the past few weeks.

January 25th: Simon develops a fever and cough.
January 26th: I take Simon to the pediatrician where he is diagnosed with RSV and an ear infection.  Course 1 of antibiotics and our trip to Florida to see my mom and sister has to be delayed.
February 2nd: Lewis wakes up in the middle of the night, throwing up.  Simon and Sandy are safely tucked away in Florida away from all the germs.  JB has the fun job of cleaning up throw up all night.
February 4th: JB falls victim to the stomach flu and is down for the count.
February 9th: Lewis complains of ear pain.  A trip back to the doctor, and we find out he's got an ear infection. Another round of antibiotics is started (at least Lewis loves to take his medicine, unlike Mr. Simon).
February 14th: Simon develops a high fever.  Back to the doctor again on the 15th, where we find out he has another ear infection.  Another round of antibiotics is prescribed.
February 20th: Simon starts coughing really bad.  I think he has just developed a cold.
February 21st: Simon passes out after a nebulizer treatment.  He turns cold and clammy, pale, and lethargic.  Hysterical mommy runs him to the doctor's office and breaks down sobbing in the examining room.  Doctor says he has a severe case of the croup and gives him two nebulizing treatments of racemic-epi and a dose of oral steroids.  Simon does not improve so he is admitted to the hospital, where his pulse oxygen falls to the 80's and he is given supplemental oxygen.  Mommy and Simon spend a long day and night together in the hospital.  He improves overnight so they release him the next day.
February 28th: Sandy marvels that she has not been to the pediatrician's office in a week!
March 1st: Lewis wakes up with a terrible cough and just seems off.  We decide to keep him home for the day and are glad we do.  Sandy takes him to the pediatrician where he is diagnosed with pneumonia and given another course of antibiotics.
March 1st-2nd: Lewis develops stridor and difficulty breathing.  We spend a fun night holding him and taking him outside so he can breathe easier.  I call the pediatrician's office and tell them I'm sure he has the croup.  They call in a dose of steroids, and Lewis's breathing quickly improves a few hours later.
March 5th: Lewis still feels lousy but is back at daycare.  Mommy is praying mightily that Simon does not catch whatever Lewis had, since she is sure it will mean a return trip to the hospital.

My only consolation is that maybe both of my children will have great immune systems once they start school?  I am sure there is a silver lining in all this, but I'm not sure what it is yet. 

Here's hoping for a healthy March and no more doctor's visits.  I am thinking I might as well set up a direct deposit at the pediatrician's office since most of my paycheck seems to be going there. :)

No comments: