About a year ago, in a rush of excitement, I went and bought Lewis a potty chair, new underwear, potty prizes, the whole works. I was ready to potty train Lewis last March, but it just never felt like the right time. I was pregnant and miserable, we had huge problems with Lewis getting out of bed all night, then we had Simon and had to deal with colic, and so on. So, all my best laid plans have been gathering dust for a year now, and I was pretty sure I'd never see the day when Lewis would wearing his Cars underwear (except for the time when he was wearing it around his neck).
Saturday started off being a typical day. For months, we have been asking Lewis if he wanted to poop on the potty and get a new toy. Every single time he has told us "Later, Mommy (or Daddy)." Well, JB asked him again on Saturday if he wanted to do it, and this time he told him he wanted to do it. Lewis came up and told me he was ready to use the potty. I didn't really believe him, but I went and sat him on the potty. He went! Was I ever surprised! After that, I thought, "That's it. There is no going back. Lewis is ready to potty train." So, I took Lewis to Wal-Mart where he got to pick out his potty prize (a very expensive Toy Story landfill toy), and we got M&M's, new underwear, a Cars potty seat, and some Matchbox cars for pooping on the potty. We went home and changed into the underwear, and the fun started.
It was pretty difficult the first day. Although he initially used the potty very well the first couple of hours, in the afternoon he was getting tired and we were having lots of accidents. JB told me he wasn't ready to train, but I was not giving in and refused to put him back in diapers. Before bed, he used the potty twice which gave me enough confidence to put him in underwear the next day.
On Sunday, he did fantastic! He used the potty all day and did not have any accidents. At the first, he was just going when we sat him on there. By the end of the day, he would tell us "I need to pee!!!" and we rushed him to the bathroom.
This morning, I was ready to put him on the potty as soon as he woke up. Well, it was 8:45 am and I still hadn't heard a peep from Lewis's room, which is very unusual (he is an early bird and usually up at 6 am). I open the door and I see two small feet sticking out from under his bed. I ask him what he was doing under there, and he tells me "I needed to use the potty." So, we soaked through that pair of pull-ups, and I told him that he should come get me first thing in the morning so he could use the bathroom.
Today is his first day at daycare in underwear, and I am hoping that he will continue to do well. I have to admit it is a lot easier keeping him in diapers, but hopefully one day I will not be asking him every 10 minutes if he needs to "go".
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, Sandy! Your life has been so dramatically recently. I know what you mean about looking for the silver lining--sometimes, it isn't really there for the problems--the silver lining is just food, clothing, shelter, and love sometimes. You brave potty training woman!!!!
Post a Comment