A lot of my friends are posting on Facebook everyday for the month of November something that they are grateful for. While I decided I didn't want to post something every day, why not post a list on my blog? So here, in no particular order, are the 30 things I find myself grateful for this month:
Obviously, I will start with the big ones...
1) I'm grateful to be married to JB, who tries every day to be a better husband and father. After watching some of the deadbeat dads on "Supernanny", I feel very lucky to have a husband who is so involved and caring with his children.
2) Speaking of Supernanny, this is also something I am grateful for. Yes, a TV show. This has truly made a difference in my parenting. I now feel in control and calm in my discipline with Lewis, and I don't know I would have handled some of the really difficult times I've had with him without this arsenal of tools.
3) I'm also grateful for my two boys. I have never considered myself a particularly maternal person--I was positively petrified of children for most of my early adult life--but I find myself to be an entirely different person with my children. I will admit that it was a bit rocky with both of them at the first; I didn't fall in love with them instantly. But now I can't imagine my life without them, and I (usually) find something to smile about each day I am with them (as of right now, Simon is screaming his head off in his crib).
4) I'm grateful for my immediate family--my mom, dad, brother, and sisters. Things weren't perfect, but I never doubted my parents' love, and I really enjoy hanging out with my siblings.
5) I'm grateful for the townhouse we moved into this summer. We moved from a small 3-bedroom ranch home to a townhome with three levels, and I love having the extra space, the boys having their own rooms, and all the huge windows.
6) I'm grateful to have a job, which many people are without these days. And I am grateful they were so generous in giving me time off with each of my kids. A lot of employees aren't that family friendly, and my employer is great!
7) I'm grateful for my co-workers, some of whom are my best friends, that I get to hang out with every day and that make work a fun place to be.
8) I'm grateful that I've been able to mellow out and relax after my second kid. I was so anxious with Lewis, and it is much more fun taking care of a baby the second time around. I'm really enjoying babyhood this time.
9) I'm grateful for books, which are a great way to escape sometimes.
10) I'm grateful for modern medicine; otherwise, Simon wouldn't be here.
11) I'm grateful for the church I go to. Sometimes it is hard being the only Democrat in a sea of Republicans, but I am grateful for the principles that I was taught since I think it has made my life a whole lot better.
12) I'm grateful for my mother-in-law who is willing to watch the kids for us so JB and I can get away once in awhile.
13) I'm grateful for the outdoors--I'd be insane if I was stuck in the house all day with two kids.
14) I'm grateful for Spring time after the long, depressing winter.
15) I'm grateful I found a daycare provider to take care of my kids, and that Lewis is actually excited to go there each day.
16) I'm grateful that I got to go to college in Southern Utah and enjoy the red rocks and desert for three years.
17) I'm grateful that both of my pregnancies and deliveries were fairly easy with no complications.
18) I'm grateful for chocolate.
19) I'm grateful for an icy can of Coke in the mornings when I just can't bear to face the day at 6 am. :)
20) I'm grateful that I got to travel abroad and see a lot of countries before I had children.
21) I am grateful I was raised in a progressive home where I was taught to respect everyone, despite our differences. I am SO glad I was not raised in a bigoted, judgemental home. That would be something that would be hard to overcome.
22) I am grateful for all my modern conveniences--dishwashers, washing machines, and heating and cooling.
23) I am grateful for Facebook, which has reconnected me to a lot of long-lost friends. I have gotten a lot of terrific advice on there.
24) I am grateful I am in relatively good health and still able to run, jump, etc. with my kids.
25) I am grateful for my guilty indulgences...junky reality TV and US Weekly magazines.
26) I am grateful for days that I get to take naps.
27) I am grateful for airplanes which let me see my family in less than a day of traveling.
28) I am grateful for Cars, Thomas the Train, and Rescue Heroes, which keeps my three year old occupied for hours, playing with his toys and pretending.
29) I am grateful that we have Holidays, since it gives us something to look forward to and to plan with the kids, which is a lot of fun.
30) I'm grateful for my warm, fuzzy, green blanket which is on my couch. I love snuggling under it at night to watch TV and to relax.
1 comment:
I love your gratitude post! The sea of republicans quote made me laugh:).
Post a Comment