Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pregnancy woes

Although I will never say never, I am glad that this will be my last pregnancy.  I have decided I am too old and decrepit to be going through this.  Everything hurts much worse the second time around.  I have terrible lower back pain, sciatic nerve pain, the morning sickness has returned for the last trimester, and the heartburn has even reared its ugly head by mid-morning.  Thank heavens for Zantac, which I keep an ample supply of.

Unfortunately, I feel like I am 9 months pregnant, but I'm only 6 1/2 months at this point.  I'm not sure how I'm going to last another 12 weeks.  Plus, Lewis wants to be picked up and held a lot and he seems to be getting heavier and heavier.  Yesterday, I put him on the scale because I was sure he had gained 10 pounds in a month, but he's only at 34 pounds.  However, combined with the weight from the baby, it sure feels like I am carrying a heavy load these days.

In good news, I passed my glucose screening test yesterday.  I was so hungry I cheated and had yogurt and an english muffin for breakfast before my test.  My midwife called me in the afternoon to tell me that not only had I passed, but I still was several points below the limit.  She said I was a "glucose burning machine" and to go eat a donut.  Well, I didn't have a donut, but I did have some caffeine-free Pepsi and a Milky Way bar in the afternoon.  Hopefully this child won't come out of the womb with a strong craving for only pop and chocolate.  I have eaten so bad this pregnancy. 

We are enjoying a few days of nice weather, although it has been a very cold, wet Spring this year.  Lewis is desperate to be outside, so I take him to the park or out to play in the yard quite often.  I am busy getting things ready for the new baby.  We now have a new cradle swing, bassinet, exer-saucer, and bouncy seat, all bought from E-bay or secondhand.  Lewis seems excited for "baby brother" to arrive, but he is very concerned about sharing his things with him.  He also seems to be already blaming baby brother for taking his things.  He told JB the other day that "Baby brother took my pillow!" I think baby brother is in big trouble. :)   

4 comments:

jls said...

This is my pregnancy, too. I totally feel your pain. I feel like I'm hugely pregnant already, and I'm only 6 months along (23 weeks, nearly 24). I'm trying to get James potty-trained (I fear I'm not as dedicated to it as I should be). This semester is kicking my pants. Feel free to whine. I'll be right there with ya.

Jenna Harris said...

Hang in there! It will be over before you know it. Hugs!!!

Melanie said...

I found your blog through Kelli's. I hope you don't mind. Ours is private but if you want to view it let me know and I can send you an invite.

Pregnancy is rough. I have about 5 weeks left and I hope I survive. It's even harder when you have another little toddler to take care of. I feel like I have neglected Amy a lot lately because I have been so tired. She is eating terrible because I don't want to fight with her to eat good food. It's easier to just give in. And I probably should be potty training her but haven't done it yet. Poor girl. She needs some attention right now. I hope she won't be too damaged.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

I feel your pain, and don't even have the luxury of knowing this is my last pregnancy. It would be lovely to know that (or at least be pretty sure:)). I'm also impressed that you're getting ready for your baby already. I will finally go pick up clothes size 0-3 months from my sister, along with a bassinet this weekend, but I haven't done anything else to prepare. Mostly, I just know it will still be a long time until I deliver. I'm due in 5 weeks, and I think it would be lovely to have my child earlier than that!:). Probably wishful thinking on my part.