Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Religious Freedom?
Today as I was down lifting weights at the fitness center today at lunch, I heard the latest report from CNN on the debate about whether to build a mosque two blocks from the World Trade Center site. At the close of the news report, I found myself astounded, no shocked is a better word, that this is even an issue. First of all, they are not even building the mosque on Ground Zero--it is two blocks away. Secondly, you cannot generalize the work of a few Islamic extremists to an entire religion. Finally, would we even be having this debate if it were Christians instead of Muslims? For example, let's say a extreme right-wing Christian militia group decided to bomb the World Trade Center instead. Nine years later, a Christian church wanted to build a church building two blocks from the site. Would this even generate any news or controversy? I don't think so. It seems to me we are being a little hypocritical in this country by extending religious freedoms to only those that share our beliefs. I would like to think that as a country we were beyond this kind of bigotry and prejudice, but sadly this does not seem to be the case. On a related note, I also don't understand why there is all this fear about President Obama being a Muslim. I don't consider who a person decides to pray to as a requirement for the job of President. Rather, I would hope that it is his/her knowledge, morals, and experience that would determine their ability to be president, not if that person was Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. Anyway, enough on the soap box today. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm with you. I do think that if the president of the United States loved the Savior, and wanted to honor the Savior in the way he or she lived, that would be great. But I'd prefer an honest, faithful Muslim to a cheating, deceitful Christian.
Post a Comment