Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pivots

Oftentimes we think that our lives are shaped by the big decisions we make. We decide on what college we want to attend, what we want to study as a major, who we want to marry, when to have kids, etc. Those are the decisions that require a lot of thought and prayer. But, have you ever thought that sometimes small, inconsequental decisions can end up shaping your life? I realized that today as I was driving to a doctor's appointment. It actually wasn't a life-altering decision that put me where I am today. It was just deciding to go to the American Public Health Association conference in Chicago when I was attending graduate school. I realized today that everything that is going on in my life can be traced back to those few days I spent at the conference. When I was at APHA, I saw a flyer about potential fellowship opportunities at NIOSH. So, I just went ahead and signed up to meet with my future mentor, thinking I should explore every career opportunity while I was there. I had actually never considered a career in occupational health; I had only vaguely heard of NIOSH in one of my public health classes. I wanted to be an infectious disease epidemiologist and investigate outbreaks in places like Africa.
Well, anyway, one thing led to another and I ended up in WV almost ten years ago, which is hard to believe. I had only planned to stay for one year, but then I ended up meeting my husband, and the rest is, well, history. So, I guess you never know at the time how your decisions will affect your life. I would have probably never heard of the fellowship at NIOSH if I hadn't gone to the conference and would very well be leading a totally different life right now.

1 comment:

Sister Tara Bowen said...

So true. I love the pivots that put is in great places as a result. Or ripple effects, whatever:).

I loved Lewis's words and I think it's cool that so many of his words are similar to Lucy's. I love his "I jump!" Way to go, Lewis.