Last Sunday was Lewis's first day at Nursery. I had actually been counting down the weeks for the last two months. This was the day that I could actually sit down and listen to a lesson! I could go to the bathroom in peace! I could lead the music without worrying about Lewis running up the aisle and tearing the tablecloth down in the Relief Society room! However, when it was time to take him to Nursery, I actually felt a little sad. My baby was growing up and moving on.
Ever since Lewis was a baby, we've tried to teach him to be independent and self-reliant. I have always thought this is one of the most important qualities you can teach a child. I never wanted him to be reliant on me to fall asleep, so we always put him in his crib when he was awake, and if he woke up in the middle of the night, we never rushed in and instead we waited to see if he could settle himself back to sleep. We've also tried to teach him to play by himself, and to calm himself down when he's upset.
As a result, I am starting to see a very independent boy emerge. When I dropped him off at Nursery, he ran off and immediately starting playing with all the toys. We waited there a couple of minutes wondering if he would need us close by, but he just forgot we were there, so we left. When I came to pick him up, the Nursery leader said he didn't cry at all. Today, when I dropped him off at the babysitter's, I was hoping for a hug and Lewis not wanting me to leave. Instead, I got a happy wave as he said "Bye!"
I have to say I am so proud of my little boy for learning to be independent, but the selfish part of me wants him to cling to me and not want his mommy to leave him.
Also, I hope my friend Tara doesn't mind me stealing her idea, but in honor of Lewis's 18 month birthday, here is a list of all his words he's said so far:
Tree
Sun
I see!
I jump!
Bump
Beep
Outside
Bye
Mama
Dada
Mum-Mum (rice cracker)
Chair
Shoe
Socks
Keys
Car (this is his favorite word)
Amen ("men")
Go ("Go, go, go!" is a favorite phrase)
What's that
Sauce (applesauce)
Ball
Choo (train)
Sing
Stuck
Done
Uh-Oh
Wow
Cheese
Show
Hello
He also knows the following animal sounds!
Cow (Moo)
Kitty (Yeow)
Doggy (woof, woof)
Turkey (gobble, gobble)
Horse (variation on neigh)
Sheep (Baaa)
Duck (Quack, quack)
Bird (Caw, caw)
Happy 18 month old birthday to my big boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment