Ok, I am the first one to admit it. I love Facebook. I love seeing new pictures of people's children and hearing about what is going on in their lives. I love connecting with all of my old high school friends and college roommates. However, there is one problem with all of this. And it comes down to one dirty word: politics.
I am in the tiny minority of the the LDS community that is a Democrat. As a result, almost 80% of my friends on Facebook are Republicans. Usually, this doesn't create a conflict. Although we may have different opinions, I have no problem with people sharing their thoughts on current affairs. I love having an outlet to talk about motherhood and get other people's opinions on life's little dilemmas.
However, in the last week or so, the Facebook community has become filled with negative diatribes against Obama and how some people don't "deserve" healthcare. As a result, I've become angrier and angrier and have had a hard time keeping my opinions to myself. My husband tells me that Facebook is not the place to be espousing your political views and that oftentimes people don't censor what they write on Facebook. They just write exactly what is on their minds. However, I don't want peoples' political views to cause me to become angry at them, because these are people I go to church with and whom I generally consider to be nice, decent people. As a result, I have decided that I need to avoid Facebook during these times when everyone becomes political. It will be hard, but it is something I will have to do.
2 comments:
Way to deal with your angry feelings maturely. I think you can still get on Facebook, because people will stop thinking about the health care bill as the center of their thoughts. But I hate hearing people slam our politicians. Could we just be kind? I don't like hearing anyone slammed. And I'm thrilled that you're blogging again.
Sandy, I love hearing what you have to say whether I agree or disagree b/c you're respectful and you actually have an argument instead of what basically amounts to "So and So Poltician is a Poopyhead" or some other such lame argument. But I know what you mean. I am not the biggest fan of Obama, but I keep wanting to defriend someone b/c their hatred of our President is ALL they talk about, and they tie in how the church supposedly feels that way, too. I may not agree with all he says or does, but REALLY?! Ugh. I didn't agree with a lot Bush did, either. Why can't we all agree to disagree, leave the gospel out of it, and listen to each other???
Post a Comment