Today, one of my friends on Facebook opened up a discussion on the current state of health care in the country. It was hard to limit my comments on this because I felt so strongly about it! Someone said that health care is like Porsches. We all may want a Porsche, but not everyone can afford it. Two people may need a heart transplant, but only the rich person can afford it.
With this advancement in medical knowledge comes a responsibility. I believe it is our moral and ethical obligation as human beings to share this medical care with whomever needs it, regardless of their ability to pay. Health care is not a privilege for the rich who can afford it. It is a basic right that all humans should have. For example, there are thousands of children in Africa who are born HIV positive. This was not their choice to be born in poverty or with this condition. There are now medicines that can greatly extend and improve the quality of their lives. Don't we have an ethical obligation to provide care for these children? We are all children of God and are equal in His eyes.
I have always liked the idea of socialized medicine. Everyone is automatically covered. However, after attending a seminar on someone who was a doctor in Romania, where they have a national health care system, I know that there is problems with this system as well. However, I don't think it could be much worse than what we have in America where insurance companies hold all the power.
I'm not sure if the current health care plan is the best one for this country, but it is a start.
No comments:
Post a Comment