It is only a couple of weeks before the new baby is set to arrive, and while the nerves have settled a little, there is still a lot to think about as we expand our family from three to four. Thanks to the show "Supernanny", I actually feel confident for the first time in our approach of disciplining Lewis (yes, a TV show has helped me immensely--I thought I'd never be saying that!). Before, I felt completely out of control and never sure what to do. Yelling felt ineffective and left me feeling bad about myself. Now, I know exactly what to do and that helps instill a sense of calm in me as I am dealing with a screaming, kicking toddler. I am sure there is going to be a lot more "acting out" from Lewis once Baby Brother arrives, and I hope we can continue to keep our level-headed approach to discipline, although it is going to be a lot harder with a tiny newborn and surviving on no sleep.
Despite the numerous tantrums that we deal with, along with an inability of Lewis to stay in his big boy bed at night (praying for an improvement in this area so I am not up with two kids at night), I feel like there is a small amount of maturity that Lewis is developing. I actually feel like I am starting to communicate with a real little person instead of a baby. As small and infrequent as it may be, Lewis is starting to understand things a little more and to understand consequences and other people's feelings. He senses when we are upset, and asks us "Mommy, are you cross?" or "Daddy, are you happy?" He is also an absolute hoot to be around a lot of the time. The latest one was this morning as he was asking his Grandma to take him down to the basement. He seems to be obsessed with dust and dirt, and he said something to the effect: "You need to be careful in the basement, Grandma. There is lots of dust down there." His Grandma replied that she would be careful. He then said "Easter Bunnies live down there. I need to vacuum them up." I was totally confused until I realized he was talking about dust bunnies and had gotten it confused with the Easter Bunny!
So, my next post will probably be one about the baby. I am doing a lot of praying that we will learn to manage two kids and that the new baby will be healthy. I don't think I've ever been quite so nervous about anything in my entire life!
1 comment:
You'll do well! It really isn't as bad as you think it will be. Just set small, achievable goals and appreciate that you'll have a summer baby--we don't have stay quarantined with lour newborns, which is so nice!!! I need to review calm, controlled parenting techniques. I have a book called Love and Logic that has great principles--need to review them:).
Post a Comment